Humboldt County Sheriff’s Posse is an all volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the support of the Sheriff’s legal function to protect life and property in Humboldt County.
Our responsibilities include:
- Searching for lost or missing persons.
- Evacuating ill or injured persons from areas not accessible by conventional means.
- Removing deceased persons from areas not accessible by conventional means.
- Assisting the Sheriff’s Department with other assigned duties.
Interested in Joining the Posse?
We are always looking for volunteers who are willing to:
- Maintain standards of physical ability
- Attend the Posse Training Academy during the first year of Posse membership (See below for information about the Posse Training Academy)
- Function in any type of weather and terrain
- Participate in Search and Rescue activities
To Join the Posse you must:
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be a Humboldt County resident.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Posses a valid California driver’s license.
- Posse a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Present current first aid, CPR and FEMA ICS 100 certificates (The Posse Application includes information about obtaining the FEMA ICS 100 certificate).
- Return the completed application (Look below for a link to obtain the Posse application) with copies of your California Driver’s License and current first aid, current CPR and FEMA ICS 100 certificates.
- Attend and successful complete an oral exam. You will be contacted with an interview date and time.
- Receive and submit background packet from Sheriff’s department (This packet will be mailed to you with instructions from the Sheriff’s Department after your successful oral exam).
- Upon acceptance into the Posse, provide uniform and personal search equipment at member’s expense.
If you are or will be unable to comply with the qualifications and above stated requirements, please do not apply for membership.
The Posse Training Academy
The Posse Training Academy consists of six focused trainings on the following topics:
- Radio Communications and Vehicle Operation
- Search Theory & Techniques
- Boat Orientation & Operation
- Rope Theory & Basic Knots
- Man tracking
Each training is offered two times a year. Applicants are expected to complete each focused training within their first year of Posse membership.